Yes, I know I just wrote day before yesterday, but I'm once again at work and incredibly bored. Also, I have something to write about.
I think probably one of the most awkward situations one can be put into is going to the dentist. I mean, think back to the last time you were at the dentist...didn't you feel awkward? You sit there (or rather lie there) with you mouth wide open as this guy you don't even really know sticks all sorts of little metal sticks and pliers and other weird, scary looking instruments into your mouth, most of the time causing you intense pain. They rarely seem to think being half an inch from your face is awkward. I mean you lie there and you think, "Ha...it would be so funny if I just suddenly up and kissed this guy. I mean, he has the weird-looking mask thing on so it wouldn't really even be a kiss. I should just spit all the metal stuff and his hands out of my mouth and kiss him just to see what he'd do." You get no chance, though, because before you can even make a move, the nurse suddenly appears above you as well. You're already having trouble trying to decide what to look at. You didn't want to look straight up or you'd be staring at the dentist right in the eyes...awkward...so you just kinda look to the side and try to focus on looking at one stationary object to avoid eye contact with the guy you're debating over kissing or not. Well then the nurse appears and blocks your view completely, so you have no choice but to either look at one of them or at the annoyingly bright light blinding you. Then another thought pops into your mind..."Hey, it would be even funnier if I kissed the girl...she's just freak out...hehe!" Before you can decide if you should smooch the married guy or the girl, you suddenly feel this excruciating pain shoot through your entire head. However, you can't flinch or you might accidentally bite off the finger of one of the kind people standing above you... So you come back to yourself and decide to forget about kisses and focus on handling the pain, when they begin shooting injection after injection into your mouth that is progressively beginning to become numb and extremely weird-feeling. So what now? You can barely move your mouth and the nurse is telling you to breath through your nose and to try not to swallow until she says to. Great...one more thing to concentrate on. You feel the saliva draining back into your throat and you begin to feel like you're going to gag. You're not supposed to swallow though so you just try to ignore it as long at possible. You're eyes begin to water because of the itch in your throat cause by the saliva draining back there. Finally you are given permission to swallow. Oh, yeah...you can't you're mouth muscles are all numb and un-usable. So...you do gag and go into a coughing fit. They grace you with a few drops of water and tell you to sit back down so they can finish inflicting pain upon you. You oblige and blink back the pain (the pain killers only seem to be keeping you from swallowing and making you sound drunk when you talk...not helping the pain at all!). Only a couple more minutes. Oh crap...you have to go to the bathroom. However, you can't say a thing since you're not supposed to be talking, you have four hands in your mouth accompanied by about fifty metal, weird-tasting instruments, and your mouth is completely numb. So you endure the agony a couple more minutes until the nice doctor tells you it's all over and that you definitely deserve a new toothbrush and a balloon! Finally...you grab the balloon and toothbrush with great joy and celebration and run off to the bathroom!
Well, obviously I just went to the dentist yesterday! For the most part the above was me…yep. One thing I didn't mention though was that my mouth staeyd numb for about four hours, causing a number of people to question my soberness...including my boss. hehehe
Well, there's the funnier of the two thoughts I planned on writing about. This second one came to me yesterday at work as I was sweeping out what seemed to be an eternal hall way in the J building at work. It's funny how God will reveal things at times.
As you all probably know, I am a major Tolkien fan. I love him. I love his books. I'm writing a research paper about him for school. And I love the movies made based on his trilogy, The Lord of the Rings. As a twelve year-old, when I first read the Fellowship of the Rings, I loved it and I pretty much thought I had imagined it the way Tolkien did. However, I feel like the movie depicted one of the sense better than I had originally imagined it. This specific scene is the one, which takes place directly after Bilbo's eleventieth birthday party in Bag End. Gandalf is trying to explain to Biblo that he should give up the Ring and go to Rivendel without it, because magical rings can be dangerous and are not to be played with. Gandalf suspects that this ring may be a particularly dangerous one and is telling Bilbo to leave it for his own good. Bilbo, however, his mind poisoned by the power of the ring, misinterprets Gandalf's promptings and accuses him of wanting it for himself. At this point Gandalf gets upset. The lights dim, the fire almost goes out, the wind begins to blow, and Gandalf seems to get bigger as his power is revealed. "Bilbo Baggins, I am not here to rob you," he says in a deep, majestic voice. Then he continues, his voice getting softer as the lights go back to normal, the wind ceases to blow, and we see him at his normal height, "I'm here to help you!" Biblo, thoroughly terrified, shuffles over to Gandalf, whimpering, and hugs him. Then he admits the old wizard was right and he does as he was told.
A powerful picture, I think. And it is one that I think depicts us, as humans, with great detail and thoroughness, so often. We think we know best. We tell God what we think, we give Him, the God of the universe who created us and gave us every bit of knowledge we have, advice and try to bargain with him for what we want. He is patient at first; he gives us time to come to on our own. However, there comes a time when He steps up, dims the lights, makes the wind blow around us, and displays His majesty and glory so we have no other option but to stumble over to his feet whimpering... These are the moments when we truly see the glory of our God. When we are so selfish, stubborn, and arrogant that we think we don't need God or we try to manipulate Him and try to convince him that we are in control, that he steps up and shows us who really is in control no matter what our little brains think. This has happened to me innumerable times. And this...to me...is completely amazing.

4 comments:
I really enjoyed reading this post! great job!
I'm pretty sure that that is one of the most amazing thing's I've read! I'm not kidding! You're a great writer! You should go into journalism or something!**
Yeah...I can't really relate to the dentist thing because my dentist is George Platt and I never had to have anything but a cleaning every now and then...but I do enjoy Tolkien...
hey, for those of you who are writing anonymously...it would help if you signed your name (hehe) so I can know who you are...tahnks!
Post a Comment