Quite often one of the first things people ask me when I first begin to get to know them is...do I read. The answer is always the same. Yes, I do, quite a lot actually! Then follows the common question, what sort of books do I read. I have become quite used to saying, "novels mostly. i really like authors such as Tolkien, Rowling, Paolini, and Theone." However, what most people don't realize is, growing up with many little people around me I have developed a special devotion to Dr. Seuss as well. I have memories from long ago of sitting in the doctor's office reading Green Eggs and Ham, of sitting in our living room reading the Foot Book to my little siblings, and pouring over Hop on Pop during all the long car rides I've endured. Then not too long ago I happened upon one book by Dr. Seuss called Oh the Places You'll Go. I found it one day sitting in Bekah's office waiting for her to show up. I had a few minutes before Bekah was to arrive, so I picked it up and began reading! I was soon entranced. I felt a little weird sitting in an office reading a kid's book completely hanging on every word! Bekah soon walked in and I made her wait until I'd finished the book! It's interesting how a book like that can entertain a small child yet so captivate an adult (I guess I'm not really an adult but whatever). It is funny and as some catchy rhymes, but it has a point that makes one stop and think...even someone not expecting it whatsoever. I encourage any of you who have not yet read it to do so as soon as you get a chance!
Just a few weeks ago I took some of my siblings to the library to get some books. I was walking through the kids' section with Krissy looking for some good ol' classic Olivia or Pigeon books and we stumbled upon another Dr. Seuss book. I though, "Hey he's never disappointed me, let's give it a try!" So I picked it up, Krissy and I walked over to the little kids' sitting area (I didn’t fit in the chairs so we had to sit on the floor), sat down and began the book. It is called Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are. We read through it, Krissy looked up and smiled, jumped up and went off searching for a new book for me to read her. I stayed sitting there. How is it that such a simple little thought such as "How Lucky You Are" portrayed in such a joking, silly way can be so stunning once you stop and think about it!
Okay, I know, you're probably thinking, "Okay, Corrie, get to the point here. You've written a lot but what's the point." Well, read the books and you'll understand my point completely!

No comments:
Post a Comment